Project ConceptSolar Decathlon Europe (SDE21_Urban hub) is an international competition in Wuppertal City (DE) that challenges the participants to design self-sustainable buildings. We merge renewable energy, sustainability, and energy transition into our hub and propose the information of the SDE21 event and energy transition in an accessible way for the visitors. The topic of the energy transition, due to the necessity of environmental protection, is a priority nowadays. Therefore, we want to raise people's awareness of using renewable energy with new possibilities and technologies by their competition.
- Being close to the cultural center of “Bahnhof Mirke”
- Being in the center of the competition site and sharing information about the competition
- Close to the central Bahnhof (17 minutes by walking)
- Getting direct enough sunlight to fulfill the demand of solar panel
- Having enough space to provide enough space for the user to interact with the urban hub
Media / Information Concept
Smartphone Life Cycle
Smartphone Layout on Media Façades
Competition 18 Teams
SDE Competition Information
We design 13 rectangular columns, adjusting the size and form by the human scale and information delivered way. The differential height of modules plays with the sunlight to project diverse shadows and reflections.
- Locate and adjust side frames on the site.
- Punch back & front frames altogether.
- Install the safety unit for batteries and facilities.
- Attach smartphones and glass panels to the front.
- Install side panels from button to top.
- Install OPV on the top and south, connect to the safety unit.
Materials & Energetic Concept
PC-panels are manufactured exclusively from post-industrial waste.
Smartphones contain precious metals that can be recycled, and we only use secondhand smartphones from the donation.
The most recycled material due to its inherent magnetism and economical value, the infrastructure, and the incentive for recycling steel is prevalent.
Glass Panels for Phones
Glass could be recycled entirely without loss in quality.
OPV Solar panels
The requirements of the SDE urban_hub include year-round mobility, self-sufficient, thus, energy production and efficiency come to our first onsideration. The structure introduces orientation to the south, 30° roof angles, which applies to different locations, and the length to width ratio was adapted to the OPV unit.
OPV Solar panels (Organic Photovoltaic)
To promote and experiment with the newest technology, OPV Solar Panels. Although they are developing, having only 10 % energy transfer efficiency, 1/2 of silicon-based PV, we used, therefore, rooftops but also south-sided facades to increase as much surface. Furthermore, OPV has 3 advantages: containing ithout toxic materials, energy payback in 3 months, and production-consumption energy is only 1/10 of conventional.
Lead Acid Solar Batteries
As research, 90% of recycled batteries are lead-acid, every part of them could be recycled. Considering our energy consumption, OPV efficiency, and structure surface, we install 13 batteries to store the energy.
Idea Realization & Exhibition
- Lennart Oberlies (Media Realization, Architectural/Media Concept)
- Paulina Chwała (Modeling, Rendering, Architectural/ Energetic Concept)
- Ruo-Xuan Wu (Visual Design, Location, Media/ Information Concept)
- Shahab Tahmasebi (Material, Transportation)
- Tobias Mathes (3D printing, Documentaion)
- Hiwot Girma Manaye (Architectural Construction)